Hi all,

I just stumbled across this thread; perhaps what I'm about to type is useful
to Marcos and/or someone else.

Actually, here in Brazil the settings on UTC are not so simple:
1) We have 3 time zones (though this info is not known even to many
brazilians);
2) All 27 brazilian states, along with the DF ("Federal District", where the
country's capital, Brasília, lies) are grouped into 5 major regions
(northern, northeastern, southeastern, southern and middle-western) and not
all of them follow Daylight Saving Time (DST) or, as we call it here,
"Summer Time".

That said, this is what we have today (23rd of June, 2011) - unless the
brazilian government changes it once again:

UTC-2: All major brazilian cities are in this time zone (when *following*
DST).

    * Non-DST: The three brazilian archipelagos of São Pedro e São Paulo /
Fernando de Noronha / Trindade e Martim Vaz.
    * DST: The three brazilian archipelagos plus the DF, all southeastern
and southern states and one middle-western state (GO).

UTC-3 (not UTC+3) - this is the official brazilian time or, as we call it
here, "Horário de Brasília". All major brazilian cities are in this time
zone (when *not* following DST).

    * Non-DST: Applies to DF; all states in the south, southeastern and
northeastern regions; three northern states (AP, PA and TO) and one
middle-western state (GO).
    * DST: All northeastern states, three northern states (AP, PA and TO)
and the remaining middle-western states (MS, MT).

UTC-4:

    * Non-DST: The remaining middle-western states (MS, MT) and the
remaining northern states (AC, RO, AM, RR).
    * DST: The remaining northern states (AC, RO, AM, RR).

All the info above has been picked from official source:
http://pcdsh01.on.br
Wikipedia (properly) follows suit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Brazil

Henrique Peron