Hi Eric,

My main point was to use 0x10 to allow right to left display of Unicode for
Arabic, Syriac, Hebrew etc. If each application processes its own input and
output
and we are only concerned with displaying their output, then whether they use
0x10 or write directly to video memory is irrelevant.

> As said - IF you only want to support software which is re-compiled
> to explicitly support some wide char extensions, you could say that
> e.g. the upper 16 bits of EAX are the character, instead of only AL.
  I didn't mean to suggest only supporting new applications, only
a way to display right to left.
> This ia a hardware thing. The widest characters that you can get is
> using one bit of the color for selecting a "font page", allowing a
> total of 512 different characters to be displayed... But then again
> software which writes to the b800:.... array ASSUMES that exactly 1
> byte is color and 1 byte is the character... Only software which is
> explicitly written for that uses the extra bit of 9 bit characters.
  Obviously any application that writes directly to video memory will
already be fixed to display left to right ( or depending on its origin
right to left ) and int 0x10 could not change this.

Sorry for any misunderstanding

Jeffrey