Op 26-7-2011 3:36, Michael B. Brutman schreef:
> On a side note, a custom built updater for FreeDOS using HTTP would be
> interesting.  (HTTP is far easier to work with because the responses are
> parseable and there is only one socket to deal with, which is always
> outgoing from the client point of view.)
>
> And there is always wget, which is quite a bit more versatile but bigger ...

My interest in your collection of programs is simply a "they just work"
(with fast reaction time as well as fast throughput). Unlike WATTCP32
programs it seems. One of the huge issues with FreeDOS 1.0 was the
request of a DHCP offer which on many machines somehow just got the
machine hanging forever, with only remedy a reboot and thus scripts not
completely finished.

I'm not aware of any expectations or syntax limitations for FTP.EXE
clients for multiple platforms.

HTGET supporting common HTTP URL/URI syntax
(http://server.domain.extension/path/file.ext) is good enough already.
your -userpass seems to indicate no complete syntax is possible, and
portnumbers either assumed 80 or not changeable.

http://username:password@server.domain.extension:port/path/file?foo#bar

A script is certainly doable, and creating it on the fly is pretty
doable also as I've shown in my WGET.BAT/DOWNLOAD.BAT

FTP.EXE accepting full URLs would be awesome (and converting it to
normal FTP commands as used in scripts) though it might require adding
additional options to FTP.EXE :

ftp.exe -passive -binary -o c:\download.iso -get
ftp://user:p...@ftp.myserver.com/path/mybigcdfile.iso

Current FTP.EXE is well usable, which I'm quite happy about. The only
downside is you'll need an individual "ftp.txt" script for each
individual download (provided they're from different servers, ofcourse).

As for WGET: I'd much prefer an online WGET.EXE to download instead of a
WGET.ZIP and adding unzipping requirements.