On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM, JPT <j.p...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> read this as a user experience report.
> Maybe you can add a few messages here and there to make more clear what
> is going on.
>

> Let me ask a single question, before we start:
> the Installer just takes any packages found, so for newer versions I
> just have to download them and put them so they are found by the
> installer? In this case, I am happy for now ;)

Correct, this is the behaviour. The special case is when you ask to
NOT install source code. In that case, Install will still unzip all
the files, but for each zip file will skip any SOURCE directory
contained therein.

> after having all files in place (on disk), I started the installer.
> It asks were to install to.
> I wrote c:\test since I am not sure, if it wants to know the DOS
> location. any suggestion would be nice.
> ** was a good idea, now I can compare the DOS and TEST dirs.
> **** yes, it would have overwritten more recent software
>
> In the first time, I called the install.exe from the wrong location.
> I did not get any error message, it just did not install anything in no
> time *g*

Yeah, that's a bug. The functionality was stubbed in - I intend to
replace it with a more robust source checking. Actually, I'm
considering having it prompt for the install drive, and assume \FDOS.
That makes it easier on the user, but harder for expert users to
customize where the files get installed. As a "power user" option, I'm
thinking about allowing a command line option to specify the
destination - if present, it would not prompt for the install
destination.

> Answering the questions "install all" and "install source" seems to be
> odd. First tried N, N which resulted in an empty install. (still wrong
> location). Then I tried Y,N which was printed as Y,Y on screen.
> Maybe the installer was confused, because I pressed Z instead.

I think I can explain the first part. The current Install is
hard-coded with the source directories to check. (BASE, DEVEL, ..) If
you don't have these directories, or don't have any packages in those
directories, there is nothing to install.

Probably should add an error if the install list is empty ... :-)

The second one seems like a bug, but one I thought I fixed. Did you
use the latest version of Install?

-jh