2011/8/20, Michael C. Robinson <plu...@robinson-west.com>:

> I'm thinking of modern video cards and multiple core processors.
>  [..]  I'm thinking that Freedos should be able to support
> multiple processing cores and other modern hardware.  OpenGem should be
> upgraded to work on 32 or 64 bit systems.  Another consideration, a 32
> bit or 64 bit variant of Freedos should protect the hardware. [..]
> I'm thinking the goal for protected mode Freedos that is 32 or 64 bit
> should be providing a hypervisor to run multiple instances of 16 bit
> Freedos or even Linux instances.  I think 32/64 bit Freedos should be
> the minimum that is needed to provide hardware protection, memory
> management, etcetera.

And I'm thinking, you're just looking for Linux - or Net/Free/OpenBSD.

> After all, DOS systems are supposed to be simple, light, and really fast.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm afraid, that the system, which is supposed to
be "simple, light and really fast", just cannot have any "protection
layers" - and _should_ allow direct access to hardware (unlike all
those Unix-variants).

--
Z.