On 10/25/2011 4:25 PM, Koh Choon Lin wrote:
> Does that means FreeDOS would not be able to support multiplayer
> network DOS games like Doom, C&C, etc.. which MSDOS is able to do so
> with ethernet?

For most of your questions, FreeDOS is equivalent to PC DOS or MS DOS.
So however you use those, FreeDOS should be able to work too.

All versions of DOS are single user systems with no concept of user IDs,
and no concept of security.  If you can get to the keyboard, you can use
it and do whatever you want to it.  Any program that you run has full
control of the entire machine.  There is no process protection, user
ownership of files, etc.

DOS really has no concept of built-in networking either.  All networking
code is an add-on for DOS.  So the question "Does DOS have security?"
really should be "Do the network aware programs that I am going to run
under DOS have security?" because DOS doesn't know about security or
networks.

So what is it that you are trying to do?  If you are just going to have
a DOS machine in your house to play network Doom, then don't worry, you
don't have security problems.  If you are going to do something else
network related then it depends on the program.  Running FTP and Telnet
on modern networks is a problem because those send passwords "in the
clear" on the wire, which can be dangerous on the open Internet.

Mike