On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   Ugh, this sounds messy. Partitions are a pain!

I've had worse pains.  I noprmally prefer to have each OS on its own
drive, but that wasn't an option here.

The old box this was done on was a gift from a friend who had
upgraded, and it's basically a testbed to see what performance I can
wring out of ancient hardware *without* spending money on it.

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I know the topic has been discussed here before, but I'm still
>> struggling with this problem.
>
> Well, Grub 2 is fairly "new", or at least a lot of Linux distros only
> fairly recently started using it as default. I know it's supposed to
> be better somehow, but it always drags up complaints on bugs or
> hard-to-use or whatever. It certainly doesn't sound promising, but
> what can you do when distros force it on you? (Your repo may or may
> not also have older GRUB 1 as a fallback, lemme see ....)
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Uninstalling_GRUB_2

I'd as soon not.  The only thing not working is booting to FreeDOS,
and I'd prefer not to introduce more variables.

>> I multi-boot Win2K Pro, Ubuntu Linux, Puppy Linux, and FreeDOS on an
>> old Fujitsu Lifebook.  It has a 40GB IDE HD, with a 20GB primary
>> partition for 2K, and an extended partition with a 512MB swap areas
>> used by Ubuntu and Puppy, a bit over 8GB each for Ubuntu and Puppy,
>> and a 2GB slice for FreeDOS, formatted as FAT32.
>>
>> This used to work.
>
> On this Lenovo cpu, I'm triple-booting Win7 64-bit Home Premium, Lucid
> PuppyLinux 5.2.8, and FreeDOS 1.1 (ish). I would like to do something
> similar (but not exactly the same) for my Dell laptop. However, I have
> to be very careful as it's such a ball of wax. In particular, Grub 2
> scares me. (Workarounds include VirtualBox, but without VT-X, it's
> painful. Live USB for Fedora worked okay but very quickly corrupted
> itself, so it's not reliable, IMHO.)
>
> EDIT: Actually, I (strangely) installed Puppy on native ext3 instead
> of a save file ("frugal"?). The save file method is probably easier to
> install. Though I once or twice tried booting successfully with Gujin
> (mini DOS version atop FreeDOS).

I have full installs for both Ubuntu and Puppy.  Both are on ext4 file
systems (to take advantage of extents,) and each mounts the other's
slice.  I spent some time playing because I wanted to have *one* copy
of major apps shared between both Linuxs, some some things live on one
side, and some on the other.  I have an open source Windows driver
that will let me see and access the Linux slices from 2K.

Like I said, this *used* to work.  All were booting fine from Grub2
before I did the clean re-install of Win2K and had to redo Grub in
consequence.  I do vaguely recall having to do some fiddling to get
FreeDOS to boot the first time around.  Unfortunately, I don't recall
just which fiddle did the trick.

> Don't forget that you can always use DOSBox ("universe"??) or DOSEMU
> ("multiverse"??). I know neither is perfect, but neither is raw DOS
> either! They all have their own tradeoffs due to various bugs,
> limitations, etc.

I use DOSEmu under Ubuntu for other things, but wanted a pure DOS
boot.  Among other things, the old box doesn't have to horsepower to
do emulation for other than simple stuff, and I don't think some of
that I have on FreeDOS woruld work well in DOSEmu.

>> My next step might be to copy the stuff I want to preserve over to the
>> Win2K slice from Win2K, then delete and recreate the FreeDOS partition
>> and do a clean install, but it's not clear that will solve the
>> problem.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> I don't know. On this Lenovo PC, I use BTTR's tiny BOOTMGR, whose MBR
> "chainloads" (?) to the boot managers for Win7 ("BCD"?) and PuppyLinux
> ("GRUB 1") on their own partitions.
>
> In short, you may have better luck using something like BOOTMGR, GRUB
> Legacy (1), or Gujin. I'm sorry I can't help more, but partitions
> (primary? extended?) are complicated.

> P.S. Don't forget Rufus:

Noted, but I'm not quite up to throwing out the baby with the
bathwater just yet, which is about what completely redoing my setup
with a different boot manager would come down to.
______
Dennis