I succeeded in booting FreeDOS using isolinux last night. I don't have
any spare USB sticks handy, so I kept trying different methods and
making a fresh CD for each one until one worked. I learned that my image
file "FreeDOSmsi.img" had too long a filename. I shortened it to
"dfboot.img". I also edited isolinux.cfg so that mine was the only boot
option available.

FreeDOS booted, prompted me for the date and the time, and I found
myself with an A: prompt. I could issue "dir" and see my files under
drive A:.

My motherboard BIOS update program afud3410.exe (made by MSI) seems to
freeze up when I try to start the BIOS update. The directions for using
it say never update the BIOS from a floppy drive, then proceed to give
directions for doing exactly that, but using Windows 98 or Windows XP
bootable floppies as an example. Perhaps I need to create a ramdrive
which would give me a new drive letter, copy the BIOS update there and
then do the update.

I looked at the RUFUS program with great interest but it requires you to
be using Microsoft Windows. I do all my work from either Fedora or
RiPLinux or Mac OS X or FreeBSD. Probably Eric's Perl script will help me.

If I use a USB flash drive, that will give me a drive letter other than
A:, B:, or C:, will it? I don't have any hard drives plugged into the
mother board SATA sockets on that computer. One SATA CDROM drive is
plugged in to a socket. Two hard drives are connected to a used Dell
brand, PERC 5/I controller I bought on Ebay which has the LSISAS1068
chipset on it.

Thanks

Bob