On 4/3/2012 1:18 AM, Michael Robinson wrote:
> There is a syntax error message that flashes before the where to install
> freedos to and from menu comes up.  Another problem, install freezes at
> installing command.com.  Uge!

Are you installing on old hardware or in a virtual machine?

Some of us figured out that on ancient hardware (8088, 80286, etc.) the
decompression process takes a long time.  If you are running in a
virtual machine and your underlying hardware/operating system does not
fully support virtualization then you are emulating the machine
instruction by instruction, and that can take forever too.

My 2009 vintage Intel quad-core supports virtualzation well so I have
very little instruction emulation.  But a user with a newer Atom tried
it and noticed the horrible slowdown.  Apparently the Atom isn't fully
capable of virtualization so QEMU was resorting to emulating each
instruction, and that is very slow.

Mike