> An easy way to install Freedos safely to a desktop computer
> involves the following:
>
> 0) Back up all existing systems.
>
> 1) Disconnect all existing hard drives.
>
> 2) Buy a hard disk to put Freedos on, if you have room for
> another one and a place to plug in.
>
> 3) Install Freedos to the whole entire hard drive or however you
> want to install it, maybe you want to put Linux on there too ;-)
>
> 4) Hook all the drives back up.
>
> 5) Adjust your bios appropriately.
>
> 6) Use BootIT bare metal or grub or something similar to set up
> booting for all of your OSes.

Even that's overkill, and won't necessarily work on a laptop (where you usually
can't install a second hard drive).  I just got a new laptop, and with the help
of BootIt NG (older version than the new "Bare Metal") was able to resize and
move the Win7 NTFS partition, create and format a DOS FAT32 partition, and set
up a dual boot system for Win7 & DOS.  I even did this all from a USB floppy --
didn't even need a CD or flash drive (though those can be used, too).  BootIt
is a _great_ program -- well worth the money if you ask me.

> Don't underestimate the utility of dedicating a computer to DOS.

I have one of those, too (an older 350 MHz AMD K6-2 that is WAY more than
capable of running DOS).