Hi,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Kenny Emond <cheeseylem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What programming language is FreeDOS written in? Are the apps made in
> the same language?

The kernel is a heavily-modified version of DOS-C by Pat Villani,
hence it is (unsurprisingly) "almost" entirely in C (by design).
Though his original used Borland C and "ours" uses compact model in
various similar compilers, e.g. OpenWatcom, so it's not exactly GCC
friendly code or anything.

The FreeCOM shell (command.com) traditionally was compiled with Turbo
(or Borland?) C, but Bart made some tweaks so that it (mostly)
compiles with OpenWatcom. However, I have no idea if that conversion
ever stabilized or not as I've not tried building it lately.

FD KEYB is written in Pascal, specifically Turbo Pascal 7 with lots of
inline asm. So it's far from ISO 7185 (classic) or 10206 (Extended) or
Delphi.

Blocek is written in FreePascal, but I'm not sure what dialect,
presumably either TP7 or Delphi with lots of DOS-isms.

FoxCalc and FoxType were written in FreeBASIC.

UPX, p7zip, UnRAR, and SETEDIT are written in C++ and built with DJGPP.

Lots of other stuff, esp. anything lowlevel, was written in .ASM
(comp, deltree, debug, cutemouse, fdapm, uide, fdxms286, graphics,
nansi, shsucdx, doslfn, runtime, xgrep).

FreeDOS has a development ("DEVEL") category here, if you're curious:

http://www.freedos.org/software/?cat=devel

Though I'd recommend browsing iBiblio as I added more stuff
semi-recently (though there's more I can't add since it's
non-commercial or without sources, which is frowned upon).

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/devel/

Most people have typically used C (in some form), esp. due to its wide
popularity and prevalence and small size and speed (relatively).