Hi,

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2012/09/07 12:19 (GMT-0400) dmccunney composed:
>
>> I'd be interested in what Felix is doing and where he sees visible slowness.
>
> File saves in last known QPro DOS version (5.6 IIRC, it has no menu to
> announce version that I recall), which I keep open constantly and use more
> than all other software combined not including SeaMonkey, for modest size
> files, running in OS/2, are virtually instant. Running booted to PC DOS 2000,
> I can only recall vaguely taking upwards of 10X or maybe 20X longer since
> I've not booted PC DOS in quite some time. With file sizes in the 7 digit
> range the wait is intolerable, maybe around 2-3 minutes for a 6MB file.

Shouldn't be that long. It depends on what it's trying to do, maybe
lots of seeks and temporary files?? Does it use EMS or similar?

> I haven't done it in DOS in a very long time, as I do my email with SeaMonkey
> in OS/2.
>
> When I tried DOSbox and DOSemu, I simply noted that the waits seemed similar
> to those in PC DOS, without doing any measuring.

DOSBox doesn't count, nothing is supposed to be fast (or even totally
accurate) there, it's only for games. And even though I think DOSEMU
is better (and faster), it's still rough in some areas. Same with
VirtualBox, still lags and has bugs, not representative of real
hardware (though 30 years of legacy is a lot of variance in speeds!!).

> All of this is on non-antique hardware, with ATA100+ or SATA HDs and CPUs
> running upwards of 1.6GHz. None of my motherboards offer a setup option that
> includes the string "AHCI", but I have to guess AHCI must be implied for
> their preferred/default settings at least for those with SATA ports. The
> machine I'm writing this on is single core 3.2GHz on P965/ICH8, but I'm
> currently in process of moving all my newest motherboards to eBay Core2Duo
> CPUs.

Newer machines don't play as nicely, and sometimes 16-bit is
explicitly slower than others due to design decisions. Though if
you're not running UIDE (or at least LBAcache), you've only got
yourself to blame.   ;-)

> I haven't spent much time with FreeDOS because it's installation process is
> so un-DOS-like, meaning there's no downloadable media I've found that lets me
> make a floppy and do SYS C:, quickly XCOPY what little I actually need into
> C:\DOS, and boot it, instead making me boot a CD and navigate through menus
> full of stuff I know little and care nothing about.

Floppies aren't really made and sold very much anymore, and they've
been dropped by most hardware companies. There's very little interest
in them. But if you insist on (slightly older) floppy images, try
here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/odin/odin060/

Or my wimpy one-disk version from 2008:

https://sites.google.com/site/rugxulo/BARE_DOS.ZIP?attredirects=0

And once you've got the older version installed, you can install the
newer kernel and tools (either manually or mount the .ISO on your HD
via SHSUCDHD).