Hi there,

I was going to install FreeDOS 1.1 on a USB drive within qemu 1.1.1 on
Opensuse 12.2 32 bit. After selecting the language in the FreeDOS
installer, my notebook was busy during the next hour with thousands of
thousands of messages like "Run chkdsk: Bad FAT I/O: 0x...".
Here is exactly what I did:
- plugged in a USB drive
- erased all partition data with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=16"
- created a new FAT16 partition with fdisk (1 GB, partition label 6),
set this to active
- created the filesystem with "mkfs -t vfat -n FreeDOS /dev/sdb1"

After that, I started qemu with "qemu-system-i386 -hda /dev/sdb -cdrom
fd11src.iso -boot d". The FreeDOS installer started, I begun the
installation with "1". It let me choose my language, and after this
the enormous amount of error messages. About an hour later, the
installer finally asked me where to install - I chose C: (the
installer showed me mysteriously only 255 MB). Then it asked me if I
want to format the drive with FAT32 - which I accepted. However, now
it showed me the following error message:

Invalid Drive! Aborting.
 [Error 61]
FORMAT status: 4
Could not format your hard disk