On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Michael Robinson
<plu...@robinson-west.com> wrote:
> First I installed Freedos 1.1 and used the 4x4 NEC cdrom, only the
> first slot seemed to work, to copy over the Windows 98SE cabinet files.
> I then proceeded to boot from the 98se cdrom and run setup from the
> directory with the cab files.  Long story short, this screwed up the
> freedos installation.  Is there a simple way to repair the freedos
> installation so that Windows and Freedos can happily coexist?

I looked at Win98.  I was given an old Fujitsu p2110 notebook by
someone who had upgraded but wanted the Fujitsu to go to a good home.
She commented it was "slow slow slow".  Well, no surprise: the p2110
has a 867mhz Transmeta CPU, a 30GB IDE 4 HD, and a whopping 256MB of
memory, of which the Transmeta grabs 16MB off the top for code
morphing.  The box came with WinXP SP2, and XP wants 512MB RAM to
think about performing.

I swapped in a 40GB HD from my SOs failed laptop, repartitioned and
reformatted.  It has Win2K SP4 on NTFS, Ubuntu Linux and Puppy Linux
on ext4, and FreeDOS on FAT32.  I was able to get Win2K down to 180MB
RAM when booted, and performance is more or less acceptable.  Ubuntu
installed from the Minimal CD, which gives a CLI installation, then
using apt-get to install just the bits I wanted made it work okay.
Puppy is in part designed for low-end hardware, and it and the bundled
apps worked well.  FreeDOS simply flew.

I thought about replacing Win2K with Win98SE, as 98 was intended for
lower end systems.  The problem was, the Win98 install wanted to
reformat the *entire* drive.  I couldn't find a way to tell it
"Reformat and install to *this* partition."  If I wanted to run it,
I'd have to let it redo the drive, then use something like GPartEd
afterward to resize the 98 partition, create the other partitions, and
rebuild my Linux and FreeDOS installs.

Win98 might work for you, but you would need to install it, then
repartition and reinstall FreeDOS, using something like Grub4DOS to
multi-boot.  While Win98 uses DOS, it can't use FreeDOS.  It's not
like Win3.X or 95, which ran on top of DOS.  Win98 uses DOS as a
real-mode loader to boot into a full protected mode OS,l and requires
its own version of DOS.  Once 98 is up, DOS is out of the loop.

> Running an unlicensed copy of 98 is not the best idea where there's
> the issue of 98 having a lot of bugs and being out of support.

Not really.  Install 98, and all available service packs and patches.
The problems tend to occur when the system connects to the outside
world.  If yours will, *don't* use IE, for *anything*.  Install
another browser.  Older versions of Firefox still run on 98, as does
Opera.  Run a firewall, and perhaps run an A/V package.

Look at KernelEx, an open source package that supplies a subset of the
Win32 environment, and allows an assortment of apps intended for
Win2K/XP to run on 98. http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/

Also look at 98Lite, a utility that can create a stripped down version
of Win98, specifically intended as a stable gaming platform:
http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html.  Among other things, you can
*completely* remove IE.
______
Dennis