On 12/28/2012 2:30 PM, dmccunney wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 7:23 AM, kurt godel <wb2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> XP2 will run in as little as 100 mb.
> I'll assume you've done so and will take your word for it, but I'm
> assuming a flexible definition of "run".
>
> How long did it take to boot?  What could you do under it once it had?

It likely boots much faster than a normal desktop because you get the
memory usage down by turning off unneeded services and devices which
take time to start up.

We sell an industrial data collection machine based on XP that runs in
about 80MB of allocated memory.  We turn off the server service, themes
and a couple others, along with unneeded devices, and have only tcpip v4
networking enabled.  Doing a warm reboot takes about 20 sec IIRC from
the time I click shutdown to the time it's back up taking data again.

It still is manageable remotely with either remote desktop or
pcanywhere, and runs 3 applications simultaneously that do our
functionality, and send out the data in a continuous stream over the
internet.  The applications do have GUIs, though they are quite simple,
being mainly status displays.