On 01/04/2013 04:13 AM, dmccunney wrote:
> "Real time" simply means "guaranteed to respond to an external event
> within a specified period".  What time period is required?

I have been able to guarantee millisecond resolution of events to
measure the subtle effects on human performance of various experimental
manipulations. By recording the data in text formats that can be
imported into "essential" (ha!) applications like Excel, I have been
able to convince the people who use my programs that they are not
impossible to use. Remember, these are postgrad students and professors,
not the average mouth breather.
> How accurately do you *need* to be recording reaction times?

Currently I get millisecond (1024 Hz) resolution using the CMOS timer
interrupt to run the clock counter and recording keypresses by
redirecting the keyboard interrupt vector to a program routine.

> For that use case, I'm not sure I'd try to run DOS on top of Linux,
> even with a Linux version modified for RTOS usage.
>
> The best option might be custom monitoring software running directory
> on the RTOS, without DOS in the loop.

I don't think I would even consider running DOS on top of something
else. The "something else" would have to have the ability to capture the
information coming into the DOS emulator, which means that it could do
it without DOS. I could wear the pain of rewriting all the graphics
stuff if I could get the response timing on another system.

Jim