Bernd and Dennis,
   This all started when I tried to use a USB floppy with an '07 amd64
dell; I *used* to just use
"fdread" from Feinman's createcd133, which flawlessly created an .img from
a real floppy in the drive.
   I can actually boot this machine from a bootable floppy, yet the fdread
utility runs to a certain percentage than stops with the message:"disk not
formatted properly."'
   That motivated use of VFD; I didn't realize VFD could edit an existing
.img; the how-to documentation for VFD is almost non-existant. I'll try
Bernds suggestion.TNX.