> I'm actually more interested in what editors people *do* use
> under FreeDOS

Editors fascinate me. Below are some of my favorites. And, yes,
I do *edit* fairly large files, up to 15 MB.

- Aurora by Jeff Wunderlich. A masterpiece. Fast, stable,
pleasant to the eye, original, powerful, configurable. Files up
to 1 gigabyte. Sophisticated, ultra-fast macro language with
*hundreds* of commands. In view of all that, I wonder why hardly
anyone ever mentions Aurora. It was shareware (and I'm a
registered user). It is said
(www-personal.umich.edu/~knassen/aurora.html) that Jeff gave
away the registration password for anyone to use it for free.

- FED by Marko Macek. Best syntax highlighting I know (but
difficult to set up due to incomplete user manual).

- TED by Thomson-Davis, Jason Hood

- Editor built into the NDN file manager

- SET by Salvador Tropea

Back to the original topic "New standard FreeDOS text editor", I
assume this means a simple or medium-power editor. In that case,
there's just one item I'd like to add to previous wish lists:
syntax highlighting for comments. I can live without colorized
keywords, strings, digits, punctuation -- but comments are a
special case. Having them in a different color is a huge
improvement in terms of visual comfort.

Marcos

Marcos Fávero Florence de Barros
Campinas, Brazil