> I found that there are almost no desktop GUIs being developed

There used to be and are many GUI's ... just most of them
are abandoned as buggy and IIRC Jim Hall removed them all
from FreeDOS list some time ago.

http://www.freedos.org/software/?cat=gui  {{deleted}}

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.Links#toc4

> A modern web browser perhaps?  Trouble is, any version of Firefox
> past version 2 roughly isn't going to work in a dos environment

You got Firefox 2 working in FreeDOS ??? Please share your technology
:-) :-) :-) :-)

> If you are not the only person who uses your computer, dos is not
> going to be a good choice for a primary operating system.

Why ?

> If software that requires utilization of multiple processing cores is
> needed, dos is definitely not an option.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ...

> steer you towards ReactOS, but ReactOS isn't anywhere near
> feature complete let alone stable.

ReactOS is NOT a DOS GUI and never will be ;-)

> X is nice, but there is also Syllable and Visopsys.

???

> become more common, dos development is going to become less popular

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ...

> I'll be surprised if GUIs that are comparable to Windows 3.11 let
> alone Windows 98SE get developed for freedos.

I'm NOT going to develop such ... because "Windows 98SE"
is NOT and never was a DOS GUI ;-)

> Should freedos development focus on attracting developers of
> new software applications?
> Maybe not, maybe Syllable, Linux, and Visopsys are better platforms for new
> software

Maybe there are better mailing lists for your posts ;-)

> With regard to Michael's question, I am not intending (immediately) to
> install DOS on any of my computers

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ...

PS: if anyone else is interested in DOS GUI, then indeed look at Georg's
"nanox-microwindows-nxlib-fltk-for-dos" thing ... this is the only one
under development and there are some spectacular apps already
running (modern browser, modern text editor/office, modern BOCHS
(unreleased, but I trust Georg that his shot is genuine and the experimental
DOS port of BOCHS indeed exists), ...).