From: e.a...@jpberlin.de
> Hi Pierre :-)> > As somebody already replied, you could make a bootable USB
> stick> with DOS.
Yes, but how?  I don't know how since the flash drive isn't accessible on my
FDOS PC.
?
> Note that> you cannot plug the stick in or out after booting in that case.
I gathered that much...
> > Sometimes the BIOS even makes USB disks visible as harddisks if> you do NOT
> > boot from them. But you still have to reboot whenever> you plug another
> > stick, I think.
Sounds right.
> > The other option is to use USB drivers for DOS. At the moment,> the Bret
> > Johnson drivers ( http://bretjohnson.us/ ) are a common> choice, as they
> > are free and open.
I went to that site. I D/L the "all" file, which seemed cool to me, since it
wasn't that big (~400k) 2ut I didn't see any file/utils that would apply to my
USB FD (flash drive) Boot/access ordeal.
> There are also shareware DOS> drivers, even with USB 3.0 high speed support,
> by Georg Potthast> ( http://www.georgpotthast.de/usb/ ) which only work for a
> while> after each boot until you register them. Both drivers have the>
> limitation that not all mainboards / chipsets are supported. You> can also
> download a number of older, commercial drivers, which> usually came with some
> hardware but often also work with other.
Good to know, thanx.
> > Burning files to CD / DVD / BluRay is hard in DOS, because you> need
> > "stronger" drivers for your (e.g. ATAPI or SATA) drive.> Some people have
> > collected commercial drivers which you could> use with DOSCDROAST or
> > similar toolkits, with the same problem> as using old commercial DOS USB
> > disk drivers.
The problem being they're not FREE?
> > If you find a safe way of using USB sticks, that is probably> the solution
> > with less headache. Memory cards such as SD in> USB readers also count as
> > USB stick in that sense, and might> actually respect the write-protect tab
> > on the card for you.> Built-in card readers may or may not behave as USB
> > readers.
Right.
> > Note that you can even plug CF memory cards to IDE connectors> with simple
> > mechanical adapters. Every operating system and> BIOS should accept them as
> > harddisk replacement that way, of> course again without the ability to plug
> > them in or out while> DOS is running.
Hmmm, I don't see this as a working solution.  Nevertheless, good to know.
> > Note that speed of all sorts of flash sticks or cards is bad> in typical
> > DOS use, because DOS does not pool writes and does> not usually read-ahead.
> > The latter can be fixed by loading> lbacache with the tickle tool. Or you
> > can load uide which is> a very big cache. Both only work for BIOS supported
> > drives,> they will not notice drives connected with separate drivers.
I'm banking on any FD, even in DOS, is at least faster than floppies.  Is that
not the case?  I'm hoping so, but even if not, the capacity advantage more than
compensates for any lack of speed, to me anyway.
>> Neither will pool writes, though. Because flash storage is> often low in
>> "writes per second", you get slow writes with> DOS. Other operating systems
>> do few-but-big writes. If your> disk is SSD, you can forget most of those
>> "but" items, SSD> are flash disks which are very fast even with bad
>> drivers.>
I do use an SSD, but not in my FDOS PC.
> Regards, Eric
Thanx for all the valued info!