On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:11 AM, dos386 <dos...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> See above.  All the DOS apps I use run in a console window under 2K
>> with NTVDM.  I am *not* a gamer, and don't run DOS games that use
>> graphics and write to video memory.  All of my stuff is character mode
>
> Obsessed by NTVDM ... this topic always generates huge discussions :-(

It Works For Me, but as mentioned above, I'm not a gamer, and don't do
the sorts of things in DOS NT won't let you do,

NTVDM provides a virtual DOS environment fro running 16 bit apps.
When you run a DOS app, NTVDM is run, and a copy of COMMAND.COM is
spawned to run the DOS app.  All of the character mode stuff I run
works fine.

The thing to remember is that a app run in NTVDM is a process running
in a 32 bit environment.  If you shell out od the DOS app to a command
line, you're  t talking to CMD.EXE, not COMMAND.COM

One of the old DOS apps I still run is Eric Meyer's VDE.  VDE is an
editor that began under CP/M as a single-file alternative to the
WordStar word processor,  Eric later moved development to MS-DOS.  VDE
is freeware these days, but still maintained and supported.  VDE has
an Alt-R command for shelling to external processes.  Press Alt-R and
you get a command line in VDE.  Enter a command on that line and press
Enter and VDE attempts to run what you entered.  Just press Enter and
VDE spawns a shell.  The shell is CMD, not COMMAND.  I discovered that
you could use the CMD START builtin to do things like run a process in
a new window from within VDE.  Exit the process in the new window, and
you were back in the VDE session.  This provides the ability to use
other apps called from VDE to perform operations on the text you are
editing that VDE itself can't do,

Win2K/WinXP both have AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT files.  These are used
to configure the NTVDM environment.  By default they don't do
anything, but you can customize them as desired.  If you do that, it
affects *all* NTVDM sessions.  You have to be careful about this.  If
you run your DOS app from a batch file, settings in AUTOEXEC.NT will
override settings in the batch file, which is probably not what you
want. This bit me till I figured out what was going on and
reserved app specific stuff like PATH for the batch file and didn't
try to diddle it in AUTOEXEC.NT.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519