Hi,

I'm not sure whether your packet driver works fine with the ne2k_pci
qemu interface or not, but I suppose it's okay. What I'm pretty sure
however is that you use qemu networking in a wrong way.

It appears that you hook up a PCI network card into your virtualmachine,
but without binding it anywhere. It's like you'd put an ethernet card
into your PC, but without connecting it to a switch.

The idea is therefore to emulate a fake switch, and connect both your
virtual machine and host PC to it. Since you use Linux, it's quite easy
- you just have to use the excellent linux bridge driver. It would go
something like this:

# Create an empty bridge
brctl addbr mybridge

# Create a virtual TAP interface
tunctl -t fdos

# Configure both your physical and virtual interfaces into promiscuous mode.
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc up
ifconfig fdos 0.0.0.0 promisc up

# Add both your physical and virtual interfaces into the bridge
brctl addif mybridge eth0
brctl addif mybridge fdos

# Configure your networking (it's held by the bridge now, not by the eth
interface anymore!)
ifconfig mybridge 192.168.0.2/24 up
ip route add default via 192.168.0.1

# Finally, start your FreeDOS virtual machine
qemu /dev/sda -soundhw sb16 -net nic,vlan=0,model=ne2k_pci -net
tap,vlan=0,ifname=fdos,script=no,downscript=no

Note, that the 'vlan' stuff above is not a real vlan (like in 802.1q),
but an internal identifier for qemu layer 2 bindings. Just in case you
were wondering.

There is no reason why this wouldn't work, but if you ask me, I'd rather
go with DOSemu. You would get much better performances (unless you have
VT-x and use it via KVM already), and exchanging files between the host
and the "guest" would be trivial, since both would share the same
filesystem. Also, with DOSemu you can run several parallel instances of
FreeDOS (although only one will have network access).

Actually, qemu could be a nice tool if we'd want to roll a 'universal'
FreeDOS distro that works on any modern PC - just installing a bare
linux kernel + Qemu, and launching FreeDOS fullscreen as a qemu VM, with
old hardware emulation (SB16, NE2000...) done basing on the real
hardware, and the Linux kernel would deal with the real hardware and its
drivers.

cheers,
Mateusz