Hi,

I'm glad you figured this out!

I wasn't aware of the "-net user" parameter, always used qemu the 'hard'
way, by wiring the whole beast myself :)
it's quite nice, looks like Qemu provides the same level of
user-friendliness than virtualbox now, by hiding all the complex
networking from the user, and providing some minimalistic embedded
dhcp/dns/routing/nat capabilities. Thanks for sharing this easy solution.

Btw, I see you use '&' to daemonize the qemu process, it might be
'cleaner' to use the '-daemonize' parameter instead (at least then qemu
knows that it has to detach itself, not sure if it makes any difference
in real life, though).

Nonetheless, I still believe you will want to switch over to DOSemu at
some point - my experience with FreeDOS + Qemu hasn't been great.. Poor
performances, and erratic behavior of the keyboard (key presses that get
repeated without reasons, caps lock that get stuck in one position,
cursors not working in some CLI applications...). Definitely not useable
for any work. But YMMV of course.

cheers,
Mateusz