Hi,

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 12:48 AM, timmoore46 <timmoor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if I've posted on the right list, but here goes !

You're fine here.

> Attempting to use a 320GB HD on a modern 6 core PC.

All for FreeDOS?   :-)    Or are you multi-booting? Or is this just temporary?

> I got the HD formatted in Fat32 (I think).

You should be able to run (some variant of) FDisk, just for info, and
tell what partitions are available. (There's also a similar WHICHFAT
tool, but I'm not sure that's more helpful here.)

Your main FreeDOS partition has to be FAT, primary, and bootable.

> Freedos seemed to have installed OK.
>
> But when I power down it does not boot up !

If it doesn't boot, it didn't install okay.

You have to create a FAT partition (if not already exists) via FDisk
(xfdisk? spfdisk?), reboot, format that partition, then "sys a: c:"
(or similar). The latter uses SYS.COM, which is included in the kernel
.ZIP package. It copies shell (command.com) and kernel (kernel.sys)
and also puts a boot sector in the partition. You should also be able
to do SYS /BOOTONLY freedos.bin (or similar, I forget exactly) if you
are booting indirectly via a different method.

> How do I fix this ?

What does your MBR look like? Partition table? Can you boot a Linux
liveCD with GParted to take a look? What are you trying to run (if
anything) besides FreeDOS?

> Or even burn a CD that boots into a full version of freedis v1.1 :

You mean LiveCD? That isn't (officially) supported in the FD 1.1 release.

But if you have a pre-existing copy of Windows, you can use
third-party RUFUS tool to make a bootable USB with FreeDOS on it. Or
just use a floppy image file and write that to real floppy or convert
it to .ISO (but that is fairly limited, but still better than nothing,
at least for quick rescue use).

http://rufus.akeo.ie/
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/