The free crynwr packet driver collection doesn't cover the Netgear
FA311 10/100 baseTX network card.

Uge!  I've been google searching and have found BartPE, but that is a
Windows 98 boot disk.

I suppose some people like freedos's spotty support for modern network
cards, but then how does one
update freedos without networking???  Why not an on top of freedos
minimal Linux system that you
load using say loadlin for the sole purpose of running fdupdate?  This
linux system can drop back
to freedos when it is done.  This gets around having to support
network cards in freedos for which
there isn't any support.  Another option is to revive freedos32 and
possibly design it so that
Linux packet drivers or Windows packet drivers can be used.  Yet a
third option, install freedos
from a minimal bare bones Linux system that supports common network
cards which can be extended
to support other cards and provide instructions on how to add drivers
to the iso image prior to
burning it.  A fourth solution is to get open source developers to
produce dos drivers for modern
network cards that came into existence after Microsoft dropped dos support.

Without a dos packet driver that works with your network card, forget
using Norton Ghost.

Syllable seems to have better network card support than freedos does
where syllable isn't: Dos based,
Windows based, or Linux based.  How is that even possible?

Too bad there isn't a universal packet driver specification where the
high level logic is one piece
and the low level runtime is another piece that can be tailored to the
OS.  Done right, this approach
should ease porting network cards to different operating systems that
support the specification.  The
high level piece should provide a specific interface I suppose that
can be operated from a single
OS specific part.  My idea is, write one low level piece and support
many high level card specific
components using it.  For this to work, the drivers need to be open
source and care should be taken
to allow some flexibility in how the high level piece is compiled on
different OSes.

I hope packet driver support improves in freedos in the future or
perhaps fdupdate should be redesigned
for non network use.