Hi,

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Miguel Garza <garz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently discovered Rufus, the DOS boot disk installer, and
> installed FreeDOS on my thumbdrive. I think it's pretty neat.

Yeah, it's cool.

> Anyways, what I am wondering is, I had come across PictView and tried
> viewing some images with it, but it gives an error and says something
> about not enough memory, will only display the first 54 lines. Then it
> loads the top 2% or so of the image.
>
> I randomly ran across references to emm386.exe. Would loading
> emm386.exe allow PictView to work? I'm assuming something must,
> otherwise PictView seems like a pretty useless program (no offense
> intended).

PictView wasn't written by anybody here. Or at least, I don't recall
ever seeing the author around. The website lists the "update"
(pv194upd.zip) as from "12/1/2000". You could try that if you're still
using "pictview.zip". I honestly don't anticipate further updates
(though one third-party guy said a rumor a few years back ... but I
guess that never happened). But if you're really convinced you found a
bug, maybe you could ping him.

The FAQ says this: "PictView is written mainly in assembler and it
runs on any 386 machine with at least 1 MB of RAM and a VGA adapter."
Though it goes on to mention XMS, which sounds correct (though I admit
to only rarely running pictview.exe as I'm no multimedia buff).

So no, that's not EMS, so you don't need EMM386 at all, AFAIK. You
only need the equivalent of HIMEM.SYS (usually HIMEMX or XMGR or FDXMS
or similar). The file "jemmex.exe" contains "himemx.exe +
jemm386.exe", but I'm not sure that's what you want either.

So yeah, like Louis said, put "DEVICE=c:\fdos\himemx.exe" or
"DEVICE=c:\fdos\xmgr.sys" in your CONFIG.SYS and try again.

But the problem(s) may lie elsewhere. Maybe you don't have enough
conventional RAM free, so try it without a lot of other TSRs loaded,
if you think that might help. BTW, one "bug" that seems to bite me is
it doesn't always seem to like 80x43, so I first have to manually
switch back to good 'ol 80x25 via MODE.

There are other image viewers for DOS, but most are old shareware. I'm
not sure if there is a single preferred viewer. It probably depends. I
don't frequently use a lot of that type of software, but I'm presuming
others here can offer better suggestions.

But just for completeness, here's what I'm thinking of (besides
pictview):   display, see, lxpic, paceplay, duglview, vgapaint, ombra,
... etc. etc. etc.

http://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/0grpidx1.htm#graphics
http://www.reimagery.com/fsfd/graphics.htm

Well, Blocek (graphical text editor) can view images too, but again,
I'm not sure that's what you want. Any particular file formats or
resolutions you're trying to use?