Hi,

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Miguel Garza <garz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried about 3 of the mentioned viewers and 2 of the 3 worked well.
> display was pretty good and lxpic was great! Thanks!
>
> I'm interested in viewing the common file formats (jpeg, png, etc) and
> I was intrigued by Pictview's claim of being able to view Photoshop
> files (psd). But if I can view common image files with lxpic, I'm fine
> with that.

JPEG is a bit complex, so you may not always find perfect support for
that. The PictView guy also has a ShowJPG util. Also, PNG isn't well
represented in most DOS viewers either, though a very few have it:

http://www.pictview.com/showjpg.zip
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/graph/qpng17e.zip

http://dugl.50webs.com/appgame.html#DViewer
https://www.allegro.cc/depot/PacePlayer
http://laaca.sweb.cz/

> By the way, I don't seem to have a config.sys file. Is it optional?

Technically, yes, but 99% of users do have one (and AUTOEXEC.BAT as
well). It's just that RUFUS is very minimal, not really the "full"
FreeDOS (though I think?? you may be able to download the .iso and
install the whole thing, but even that leaves a lot out, esp. since
the 1.1 distro didn't include too many extras like 1.0 did due to lack
of time).

You can read up on some CONFIG.SYS options here:

http://www.freedos.org/kernel/config.txt

And if you really want some actual CONFIG.SYS files to glean from, I'm
sure I can dig some up. (I vaguely remember putting some on one of my
mini-distro disks a handful of years ago. Or I could just give you my
current one, kinda weird but it works.)