hello all. longtime reader, first time poster

this is something I have been thinking about for a long time.
I think it needs to be a part of long file name support, which
seems to be pretty messy for compatability (multiple directory
entries to carry extra characters in the name).

since only 5 bits are used for standard attributes, 3 more could
probably be added, but their meaning would not be clear. if one
of those was an extended attributes flag that would be a start.

if the ea flag is set, lfn support could do significant redefinition
of directory entry format, at the cost that programs which bypass
lfn access would have problems. if lfn support is done with a redirector
(I confess to weak knowledge of how it is done). this may be able
to trap all access.