On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM,  <za...@gmx.com> wrote:
>> On 2013-11-22 00:46, Rugxulo wrote:
>>> I suggest you just try to use a user-space program like TestDisk. I
>>> haven't used it much, but in minimal testing it did seem to access my
>>> ext3 partition correctly.
>>
>> Does the TestDisk solution that you mentioned give full access (i.e.
>> both read and write) to the ext3 filesystem, or would it be read only?
>
> AFAIK, it's read-only, meant for recovering files (from broken system
> to working, until reinstall or similar migration).

Test Disk is designed to recover *partitions*, not files.  It searches
for backup copies of the partition table and does substitutions when
the main one is damaged.  It bypasses the file system(s) entirely and
does low level raw disk reads.

The companion PhotoRec can recover *image* files with some success,
and copy what it finds to another drive.  IT knows what various image
files look like, and does low level reads looking for them.
______
Dennis