Hi Rugxulo, mcelhanon, guys,

> The only technical document I know of about this is here, but I'm not
> sure it'll directly help you:
>
> http://ericauer.cosmodata.virtuaserver.com.br/soft/specials/win3.x-dosext-freedos-notes.txt

That is so old, I would guess we have already implemented most of the
relevant calls... Maybe you can grep in the FreeDOS kernel sources...

Note that mcelhanon also has a point - the "Deskwork" website had some
document about how to let Win 3 run with more RAM, but in the long run
it is probably easier to hide the extra RAM by telling HIMEM / EMM386
or similar drivers to touch at most a certain amount. We had options
for that at some point, because some old games had similar problems.

Also, the PCI "SoundBlaster" cards in fact are not hardware compatible
to SoundBlaster but come with some driver to create a virtual SB16, as
mentioned. That driver is picky with EMM386, for example JEMM386 had a
special option to enable compatibility tricks just for that driver :-p

In any case, to run Win 3.x in "386 enhanced" mode, you must NOT load
EMM386-style drivers (no JEMMEX either) unless those implement special
functions to let Windows take over with the driver built into that. So
you do not need DOS EMM386 drivers that badly while Windows runs using
386enh mode anyway, bad luck for UMB - unless you use non-EMM drivers
to provide UMB, no idea if those would work with 386enh Windows...

It is easy to guess that only Microsoft EMM386 and a few big commercial
EMM386 drivers took the effort to implement those "GEMMIS" functions,
only Windows 386enh mode uses them after all.

Regards, Eric