There is this DOS utility created in the mid 1990s called "spawn" by
Geoff Chappell in Australia. I do not know if it will work with
FreeDOS, I've only used it with MS DOS. It allows DOS program
execution (exe file) from config.sys during boot. It will not run a
resident program from conventional memory, but I did used to to run
resident programs from upper memory without problem. It might do what
you want.

This Geoff Chappell did not include any license declaration or
distribution restrictions with this utility, but it does include the
ASM source code. I did a quick search on the Internet before writing
this to see if I could find a link to a repository where a download
was available, but all I could find was other software of a similar
name. The copy I have is an 11kb ZIP file named "SPAWN.ZIP" created in
1997 that includes a compiled "spawn.sys' driver along with the ASM
source code. I wish I could tell you where to download it.

If it does work with the DOS version your using, you would still have
to spend some time experimenting with the order of execution in
dconfig.sys for things to work. I remember that it worked quite
reliably once I figured out the correct configuration, but there is
not much user instruction included.