DHCP separation can be nice, but it has also its downsides.

It's definitely a nice choice because it makes programs a bit smaller.
However, a problem might appear in the (unlikely?) situation where a
user plays with a network-enabled program while his lease expires.

Say, my DHCP router provides leases of 1h. Then I run the MTCP FTP
program and move files back and forth on various servers for a long time
- after 1h my lease expires, and depending on the implementation of the
local DHCP server, havoc may start if it attributes "my" IP to another
client. This is of course an extremal case, since usually DHCP servers
provide longer leases, but who knows.

DHCP clients are supposed to renew their IP as soon as their lease
expire - or sooner (many times they do it halfway). Using an external
DHCP process makes this impossible (unless written as a TSR, which is
not the case here, and would probably end up being a memory hog anyway).

But for any "reasonable" use, an external DHCP tool is very fine, yes.
Just wanted to provide a 'full' picture on the subject :)

cheers,
Mateusz