On 11/24/2014 5:13 PM, David Kerber wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 7:57 PM, Ralf Quint wrote:
>> On 11/24/2014 11:08 AM, Carl Spitzer wrote:
>>> Isn't the Z80 what the Space Shuttle and space Telescope used until
>>> the last decade. I seem to remember my old RS-4P was a Z80 chip. CWSIV
>> Nope, the Space Shuttle's main computer was from IBM, based on a
>> radiation-hardened version of a 32bit System/360 type CPU (just Google
>> "APA-101S")
> I had thought the space shuttle ran on a hardened version of a 386?

The in later years used "glass cockpit" panels were 80386 based, but not
the actual main computer(s) (there are 5 of them for redundancy).
The original APA-101B even used wired "core" memory (a whole 1MB of it)
while the later upgraded APA-101S used radiation hardened silicon based
memory

JFGI...

Ralf

---