On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:

> Copper is long gone and my dial up still works.Fiber is just a carrier.

Dial up uses analog signals transmitted over copper wire.  Fiber is
digital end-to-end.

When you dial up, you presumably use a modem and connect via an RJ45
jack to a connector on the wall.  What does the connecter have inside?
 I'm willing to bet a lot it's copper wire.  The wire will teminate in
a mux somewhere in the basement of your building or in the street,
and long haul traffic will be over fiber, but the conversion from
analog to digital happens elsewhere.  (And what the telco historically
used was *not* TCP-IP.  They sent digital packets, but used a
completely different protocol.  I used to *be* a telecom admin.  I
actually know something about this.)

In my area, copper at the point where the user will connect is no
longer available.  It's fiber end-to-end.  Existing copper
installations still work, but if they fail they will not be repaired.
Verizon is treating hurricane Sandy damage as a good excuse to drop
copper, and people who had copper that failed because of hurricane
damage have already been told it won't be fixed, and their options are
cell phone and/or fiber.

> Peon is anyone who takes orders from a boss. Just about everybody.

And the boss is the one who should be in control?

> Dial up is so slow it would take years to clean out Sony instead of minutes
> or hours.

Dial up is so slow Sony would not be able to do business in their
current fashion if they were restricted to it.  Neither would anybody
else.  You would not like living in the world that would result.

> Sony was most likely an inside job. Some peon probably did it - revenge
> or money who knows.

Speculation is all over the web, with current fingers mostly pointing
at politically motivated hackers in NK, who were unhappy about a new
Sony Pictures film that portrayed their leader in an unflattering
light.

> Sony uses broadband and was the exit point for their billion dollar
> files.  They didn't leave Sony in a brief case.

Hacks like the one that breached Sony occurred back when stuff *was*
still dial up.  Slower speed may make it take longer to get the data,
but will not prevent the breach.

> DS.
______
Dennis