Hi,

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 7:29 AM, wch-tech house-grp.net
<wch-t...@house-grp.net> wrote:

> I have been reading about various details about freedos and in the course of
> this work I noticed that there are at least two different sites which
> contain freedos help.  The official one is version number 1.06 and another
> one (appearing to be unofficial) is version 1.0.7a  (note the placement of
> the second period).

Probably just lack of time (or interest) to synchronize everything.
Not a huge problem.

> I would have thought the "official" site to contain the latest and greatest,
> but the "unofficial" site contains comments on program obsolescence (i.e.
> udvd.sys) that the "official" site does not.

Neither of those is an "official" FreeDOS site, AFAIK. Even the main
freedos.org is hosted by SourceForge (IIRC).

> I understand mirroring, but this isn't that.

Yes, that's exactly what it is. It's just not in sync with each other.

> I am wondering:  Why are there two different sites purporting to contain the
> same material, but are different?

Because they are two different (third-party) sites run by two
different people, and they are not coordinated nor controlled by any
unified entity like "FreeDOS" (which is a very small and loose set of
volunteers anyways). In case this wasn't obvious, "FreeDOS" is not an
organization, so there aren't many hard rules or deadlines.

> Which site is the best site to rely on for help?

It's up to you to decide what works for your needs.

Or just download it locally, and don't worry about it!

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/help/