On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 4:45 PM, John R. Sowden
<jsow...@americansentry.net> wrote:
> I somehow got 2 files in the same directory with the same name. This
> happened in a foxpro/dos program that I have been using for more than a
> decade.  How do I rename one of the files so I can treat them
> separately.  The are not identical.  One is a few days newer than the
> other, as this database us updated daily.  I am using freedos as the OS
> and 4dos as the command processor.

I think what you actually have is two files with the same *visible*
name.  The difference will be embedded non-printing characters.  The
trick will be finding out what the actual name is.  Under *nix, I'd do
a directory list with a wild card and dump the result through od.

Under DOS, you can do a directory list and redirect the output to a
file, then open the file in a text editor than can show non-printing
chars.

It's been a while since I've played with 4DOS as the command
processor, but I believe you can escape non-printing chars in a string
you pass to ren.

> tia,
> John
______