It would seem that is the logical solution.

I thank you all for the advice.  I have compared a few editors and have
decided to start with Setedit.

I am updating a bible translation (The Concordant Literal Translation)
which I originally compiled for my BibleWorks program using UltraEdit in
Linux. The Old Testament text recently received a long overdue update and I
wish to update my text to correspond to the new one using a DOS text editor
first (for kicks - if that's OK - just to see if I can. I split the OT text
out and it loads fine and updates changes quickly.

Of course I will be backing up my efforts in Linux with UltraEdit.