Thanks, that sort of works. Based on the cdrom.bat commands, this snippet from my current autoexec.bat works:

=======================
REM (some commands)

SHSUCDX /QQ /D3
LH SHSUCDHD /QQ /F:FDBOOTCD.ISO

REM (some commands)

REM DEVLOAD /H /Q %dosdir%\BIN\UIDE.SYS /H /D:FDCD0001 /S5

DEVLOAD /H /Q %dosdir%\BIN\XCDROM.SYS /H /D:FDCD0001
SHSUCDX /QQ /~ /D:?SHSU-CDR,D /D:?SHSU-CDH,D /D:?FDCD0001,D /D:?FDCD0002,D /D:?FDCD0003,D

SHSUCDX /QQ /U
DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\XCDROM.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /H
SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001,D /Q

With this, I can access the cdrom as E: (not D:).

But I have not been able to merge the last 5 command into just 2 or 3. Among many attempts, I think I tried just running the last 3 of the 5 and that failed as before. What am I not seeing?