In the thread "Drivers or tips for 3 ISA sound cards?" I just reported
solving a problem with a driver installer that froze when it arrived at
the step where it analyzes the hardware configuration.  It turned out
that it was choking on the fact that D: and E: partitions existed but
were not yet formatted.  The installer worked fine once I formatted the
partitions.

I then wondered if that same circumstance played into another quirk I
had observed.  I had been unable to make this work on this machine:
 > format a: /u

That always produced an error.  My notes are a bit scattered, and I'm
not 100% sure that this is the error connected to that command, but I
think it was:

Critical error during DOS disk access
DOS driver error (hex): 01
Program terminated
[Error 129]

But after formatting the two partitions, "format a: /u" seems to work fine.

This was not a fully controlled test, and I'd like to have the
opportunity/time to test it more definitively, but I'm reporting this to
see if anyone else can confirm or deny the behavior.  This is a default
FreeDOS 1.1 installation on a Pentium 150, 64MB configuration.