On 6/2/2015 10:55 AM, John Hupp wrote:
> In the thread "Drivers or tips for 3 ISA sound cards?" I just reported
> solving a problem with a driver installer that froze when it arrived
> at the step where it analyzes the hardware configuration.  It turned
> out that it was choking on the fact that D: and E: partitions existed
> but were not yet formatted.  The installer worked fine once I
> formatted the partitions.
>
> I then wondered if that same circumstance played into another quirk I
> had observed.  I had been unable to make this work on this machine:
> > format a: /u
>
> That always produced an error.  My notes are a bit scattered, and I'm
> not 100% sure that this is the error connected to that command, but I
> think it was:
>
> Critical error during DOS disk access
> DOS driver error (hex): 01
> Program terminated
> [Error 129]
>
> But after formatting the two partitions, "format a: /u" seems to work
> fine.
>
> This was not a fully controlled test, and I'd like to have the
> opportunity/time to test it more definitively, but I'm reporting this
> to see if anyone else can confirm or deny the behavior.  This is a
> default FreeDOS 1.1 installation on a Pentium 150, 64MB configuration.

I'm working with a different machine now, with a single formatted
partition -- no unformatted partitions -- and I still see this behavior
regularly but not uniformly.  When this occurs with a given floppy, I
can take the same disk, pop it into a Win 98 machine, and format it
without error.

I have now filed a bug report on the problem at
https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/bugs/132/. Some of you may be able to
contribute more information.