Hi,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Micheal Muniko
<michealmun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. The files are free. You can use it in any project.

Ugh. I don't mean to be rude here, I really don't. And I don't mean to
be overly pedantic. But you are indeed emailing us on a "Free"DOS
mailing list (hosted by "Source"Forge).

I don't think "free" means what you think it means. Do you mean
"freeware"? Or just "freeware with sources"? Keep in mind that "free
software" usually means FSF (especially GPL, but not always), and
"open source" usually means OSI (e.g. OpenWatcom, aka Sybase v1, which
absurdly is not "free software"!).

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
http://opensource.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software#Definition

"
Freedom 0: The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
Freedom 1: The freedom to study how the program works, and change it
to make it do what you wish.
Freedom 2: The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your
improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that
the whole community benefits.
"

I've honestly not looked lately, but I'm pretty sure that SourceForge
is fairly strict about only hosting FSF- or OSI-styled stuff (well,
and public domain too these days, apparently).

I'm just saying, if you don't license your software appropriately (and
avoid linking or including anything non-free), then many people won't
mirror or even use it. That, to me, is annoying, not being able to
find or (publicly) use software because of some (imaginary,
non-technical) problem.

> 2. I just did not feel the need to switch to another extender. DOS4GW
> worked fine for me. I did experiment with PMODE/W while developing SN,
> and I used it for SNG2MIDI but that's pretty much it.

Great. But again, some (important!) people heavily frown on even
so-called "non-free" software that includes full sources! So something
that is a proprietary binary (with no sources at all) is even worse.
Don't rely on it if you don't have to.

I'm just giving some friendly advice. Most people have already heard
some of this before. It shouldn't be too painful to hear this. No, you
don't have to listen, but life is just so much harder when people
can't cooperate. It's best to avoid any obstacles and not go against
the (overwhelmingly huge) tide if you don't have to.