On 6/20/2015 5:22 AM, Georg Potthast wrote:
> Google checks the user agent string the browser returns to determine what
> features the browser supports. Then it decides what type of page it sends to
> the browser.
>
> With Dillo the user agent string can be set in the dillorc file. Since it
> reports Dillo as the browser Google puts it into the unkown bin and sends a
> simple page.
>
> If you like an even more simple page you can use the link:
> http://www.google.com/accessibility/labs/search/ This probably works with
> any text based browser. Roberto found this link.
>
> Ron has a page like this on his disk which he loads to access Google with
> Arachne and Links:

> <form action="http://www.google.com.au/search"; method=get name=f>
> <input type=text value="" framewidth=4 name=q size=65 maxlength=256>
> &nbsp;
> <input name=btnG type=submit value="simple Google Search">
> </form>
>
> Georg

http://www.google.com/accessibility/labs/search reports that it is no
longer supported, and if you try to use it anyway, it fails.

I tried the Ron's-Google-page simple form approach (although using
http://www.google.com/search instead of the Australian page), and it
produces blank-page results just like a search from their own page.

But the thought about setting the user agent produced some results. It
is under Arachne's Options, though I forget which category.  At any
rate, setting the user agent to Lynx for DOS now produces usable Google
search results.

Unfortunately this is a global setting and using it means hobbling
Arachne's better rendering capabilities.