-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Unhandled exception 000E
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 02:45:09 +0200
From: Mikkel C. Simonsen <m...@post5.tele.dk>
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net

freedos-user-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Mikkel C. Simonsen <m...@post5.tele.dk> wrote:
>> I have just installed FreeDOS to run an old PCB editor.
>
> What name? Date? Files? Using RTM/DPMI16, I presume?

Layo1. And yes it uses RTM.EXE and DPMI16BI.OVL. But there's a twist -
it includes a PE executable as well in the latest version. This latest
version runs on XP (but only in 640*480...), but not on OS/2 (HXRT
doesn't work). But HXRT on FreeDOS appears to solve both problems.

>> When I try to run the executables, I get the error
>> "Unhandled exception 000E at 0020 1AA4 ErrCode 0002"
>
> What memory managers are loaded? JEMMEX? HIMEMX only?

I use the option "Load FreeDOS with JEMMEX, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM
free"

> Another user on BTTR recently had a similar problem (again). His
> suggested workaround was "DEVICE=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE ALTBOOT
> MAX=32000 MIN=32000".
>
> Japheth (circa 2011) explicitly blamed the bug on Borland's DOS
> extender. His suggested workaround was this:
>
> "
> 1. Option /R63 for UIDE, which makes UIDE not use extended memory from
> the first 64 MB, must be set.
> 2. Option /X2MAX32 for HimemX, which makes HimemX restrict XMS v2 max.
> memory to 32 MB, must also be set.
> "
>
>> I did some more experimenting, and it looks like running hdpmi16
>> followed by hdpmi32 provides a more permanent "fix".
>
> Okay, good. Yes, obviously, Borland's old extenders weren't tested on
> modern machines. (BTW, how much total RAM do you have?)

128MB, with 4MB used for graphics. The system is a Vortex86 SBC - the
original version without extra alphabet soup.

>> But why does the error occur under FreeDOS? Running the same package in
>> an OS/2 or WinXP VDM does not produce the error.
>
> OS/2 and NTVDM both have separate DPMI servers that were tested
> differently. They usually throttle the amount of total RAM seen by DOS
> extended apps.

Yes. I checked the DOS settings used in the OS/2 VDM, and EMS/XMS is
limited to 8MB and DPMI memory to 16MB.

>> I have tried all three memory options from the boot menu - they do not
>> appear to change anything.
>
> It depends on how much RAM you have, and what options to the memory
> managers and extenders, and their versions, etc. Try one of the above
> suggested workarounds.

I will have a go.

Sorry about the slow answer - I received your reply in a digest after
several days, so I missed it.

Best regards,

Mikkel