Reviving this thread to post an update:
I am trying to stay in FreeDOS on one of my PC's. I installed GRUB4DOS and
am pleased with configuration options, I can boot CDROM's of various
emulationn, I can boot PLOP Boot Manager to Boot USB flash drives (no more
searching for PLOP floppies around the house - yay!)

Stumbled on this link:
http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/menu.htm

Check it out.