Ever since I moved from MS-DOS to FreeDOS years ago, I have been annoyed
by some R-Alt key behavior.  (This is on a US ANSI-layout keyboard.)

The classic illustration was in Edit, where I couldn't R-Alt+X to exit.

But my touch-typing technique for a L-Alt+X would be left index finger
on L-Alt, plus left ring finger on X.  Nearly impossible!! Other key
combinations were awkward at best.

And as I noted in another post recently, the mouse pointer in Edit is
nearly invisible on the machine I'm currently working with, so
mouse-instead-of-keyboard wasn't a decent solution either.

But after another dive into this issue, I now notice this:

- Even in Edit, R-Alt acts like L-Alt with no document open.
- In SetEdit, R-Alt acts like L-Alt.
- In FreeDOS Help, R-Alt acts like L-Alt.
- In DOOM, R-Alt acts like L-Alt.

I'm now thinking that in DOS, the kernel's keyboard input method
probably consists of rather simply reading the BIOS keyboard buffer, and
absent the intervention of a running DOS keyboard driver, it is probably
up to each program to decide how to process key combinations.

If that's the case, then it's probably just FreeDOS Edit (and perhaps a
few other programs) that will annoy me this way.

Can anyone confirm or deny this understanding?

[By the way, I also looked at running KEYB with a customized US.KEY
layout, but it looks like US.KEY only customizes a handful of keys and
key combinations, leaving the rest to whatever the default keyboard
handling is.  To make R-Alt act like L-Alt across the board, I would
have to create MANY lines in the k858 look-up table, specifying what
happens for R-Alt+A, R-Alt+B, R-Alt+C, etc.  And it might be that
program handling of key combinations could still override that -- I
don't know.]