Hello Don,

> Jerome, this is not an installer issue, it occurs following an otherwise
> successful install and reboot. I think it is a DOSLFN/Memory Management/SHELL
> issue. It's a bug that has been around for a long time and the only way I
> have gotten rid of it is to forgo DOSLFN.
>
> On another note, I am in need of a generic DOS program installer, V8 looks
> like what I want, perhaps after FD 1.2 is released you could contribute such
> a tool to the repo?

V8 is included in the FDI Preview development builds and will ship with FreeDOS
1.2. It is also available on the FreeDOS repo. However, the latest version is
always available on http://up.lod.bz

A little bit of back story on the birth of V8Power Tools. Basically, Jim wanted
the FreeDOS installer to be a batch file that used utilities that were nicer
than using the standard choice command. So, hum a set of utilities that can be
used from any batch file to create a fairly nice UI. Ones that are not to
difficult to use. Require no hard drive space for storing data. Use no ram for
storage. So, I gave it some thought and figured sure I can do that. So, V8 was
born to make a nicer batch file interface.

Everything in FDI that the user sees and interacts with is powered by V8.
Except FDIMPLES. V8 could do the detailed package selection stuff in advanced
mode. But, it was quicker and easier just to build a program to modify a
package list and give it back to FDI. Everything else including package list
processing, custom theming, multi-language support and the rest is done through
batch logic, V8 and a couple other command line tools.

vecho is really nice for doing multicolored text output. Things like "vecho
/fRed this is red /FGray and /Fyellow this is yellow."

A lot of things can been accomplished with the V8 toolset. For example. I use
it as the backbone for building the Preview releases. With one command 'mkFDI
all', a very complex 15 minute long process starts building a release from
scratch. Takes the raw source files and repo cd packages to make the boot
floppy and both USB images.
Parsing package lists, pulling data from index files..... It's probably more
complex than the actual installer. But, it is not as flexible as FDI.

Anyhow, a general program installer? Won't a zip package that is compatible
with FDNPKG and FDINST be sufficient?

Jerome