On 5/14/2016 4:09 PM, Eric Auer wrote:
>> Bottom line is that PnP doesn't work (properly) for ISA cards...
> Indeed, back in the time PnP was only a nice idea. You needed that
> ICU software and it still was more hassle than non-PnP ISA cards
> where you would just set the jumpers manually but at least the
> results were what you planned :-) For network, older PCI cards
> can work quite okay in DOS, for example those with the RTL8139
> chip,
PCI was designed with PnP in mind, so there has been no issue in that
regard, though the use of non-PC standard (in terms of DOS) I/O ports,
for example of serial (as in RS-232)/parallel  add-on cards made their
use in standard DOS program quite a hassle.
> although their drivers often seem to be license-troubled:
> Based on open source building blocks, yet without public source.
Now that is a completely different barrel of fish. But as commonly
anyone who buys a piece of hardware gets the drivers with that hardware
or can download the drivers from the manufacturers web site for free,
can use them just fine. Unless someone suffers from advanced Stallman
disease >:)...

Ralf

---