As Ulrich said, there is no server listening to ping until you turn on
networking.

Also, I'm not clear on what ssh/telnet/vnc has to do with full screen dos
sessions.  While on the hosting machine in virtual box with the vm running,
you can just maximize and stretch the window [0]. Otherwise use the other
guide and connect to IP:3389 or IP:5900 with a vnc client.  You may have to
set port forwarding and/or NAT on your router, host and within Virtual
Box.  If you need to login (ssh or telnet style) into your DOS box, there
are servers out there you can use once you have networking going.

[0] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#legacy-fullscreen-mode