From: Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>

Hi again,

Just to add more to this so I don't (completely) forget everything ....

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

> On Linux, Unix, BSD and Mac systems, you can just use the rCyddrCO command.
>
> For example, your usb flash drive is known to the system as /dev/sdf and you
want to put FD12FULL.img on there.

> Simply running: rCydd if=FD12FULL.img of=/dev/sdfrCO as superuser will do the
trick. It will take a little while and would
> be faster if you add block sizes and counts. But, it will work file without
them. The FreeDOS 1.2 USB stick images
> have a built in partition table. So, make sure you write to the device (like
sdf) an not a partition (like sdf0).
> Also, MAKE SURE OF YOUR TARGET DEVICE!. If you target your the drive with
your linux install, you will DESTROY
> all of the data there.
>
> There are only a couple drawbacks to using dd. It is slow. Unless you know
how to poll it, you get no progress report.
> It will create the partition at the same size as in the image file (the whole
disk wonrCOt be in that partition). You must
> be careful when specifying the target device.
>
> Oh, also make sure the USB drive is not mounted when you write to it with dd.

I'm sure there is a wiki somewhere (for some relatively obscure *nix
distro) that cleanly and simply describes all of this with various
details. But I don't know where exactly.

There was a recent two-part video on YouTube (Druaga1) about him
trying to set up an old Apple scanner. He had to make a disk from
image at some point, and lots of comments were about that. Just to
summarize (without testing!) some of those useful
comments/suggestions, to give some better overall idea of what's
available ... :

dd (or) GNOME Disks (GUI)
lsblk (or) fdisk -l (or) parted -l
pv (or) dd status=progress
sync (or) reboot
unmount first

cat (instead of dd to match block and sector sizes automatically)
"cat imagename | pv > /dev/fd0"

"watch -n5 'sudo kill -USR1 $(pgrep ^dd)'"    [was that meant to be
backticks??]

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net