On 8/19/2017 4:52 AM, Pierre LaMontagne wrote:

> First of all, Ralf, thanks for all the great help! I ended up using
> CDBurnerXP first & it worked superbly!  :)

Glad to hear that! 8-)

> - don't use Windows build-in CD burning tool. It simply s**ks.
>

> Although I agree, especially after using CDBurnerXP.  I spent some
> time figuring-out how to use the built-in Windows Burner and finally
> got fairly comfortable using it & it did work as it is supposed to on
> my Win 7 PC, just not on the FD PC.  I'm not 100% sure but, I'm
> thinking it was a LFN (Long File Name) issue.

That shouldn't matter, as far as the general creation of the CD goes, it
should be ISO9660, which allows long file names (within it's own limits,
but would also equally apply to any tool to burn the image)

> Use a proper burning tool instead,
>
> Each one of those is free and light years better than using Windows
> build-in burner, as you have tons of options to actually control what
> you are doing (see below)
>

> For sure…
>

> - make sure you use a CD-R media, not a CD-RW media.
>

> Although I don't know all the specifics, I do know that I use
> "Memorex" CDRs. I usually shun away from oddball brands (learned that
> lesson the hard way). The FD PC has an HP 52r with an older IDE I/F.
> It's set as master on the secondary IDE controller.
>

> Also the quality of the media might be a factor
>

> You had me worried there till after CDBurnerXP  was a success!
>

> - make sure to use a (very) low speed setting
>

> I'm not 100% convinced about using a lower write speed, but I ended up
> using 10x anyway.  Even at that low speed, the burn time was just
> under 2 min.

That's what I said, you don't really save any time by using a high burn
speed with such a small amount of data. After all, you are not going to
burn a 25GB Blu-Ray disc here... ;-)
A lot of of the "I know everything better but it still isn't working"
kind of crowd (no personal offense intended!) are objecting against the
CD-RW and slow burn speed recommendations, but that it your/their time
to waste. From my POV, that's just the experience of dealing with
computer for 41 years now...

> PS: The easiest way to download above mentioned tools without any
> hassle or unwanted fluff
>

> Sure enough an important consideration for me.  I ended up using
> ninite.com & bookmarked it right away in my browser (Google Chrome).

Found this site a couple of years ago, it contains a lot of those little
(or not so little) tools that come in very handy on new Windows
installs, like LibreOffice, PDFCreator, those CD burning tools, Classic
Shell (an absolute must for Windows 8.1/10), Thunderbird, Firefox (hate
Chrome myself) or things like IrfanView, which I use for +20 years,
MusicBee, Gimp, etc. Just make your selection of tools, download the
little stub file, start it, sit back and relax until all the stuff is
installed. And if you want to make sure that you have the latest version
of those tools at a later time, just run the same stub again, and it
will check if there are newer versions and just update what is needed.
Just too bad that Adobe asked them to remove Acrobat Reader from the
selection. And that they won't add TightVNC and PSPad...

take care,

Ralf

---